This has been a looong time coming. I have been thinking about writing this for around 5 years now, ever since I started researching vaccinations myself. I find myself sitting here with writers block over a subject that I am so passionate about. The reason being that anything I put down in words here can be debated and pulled apart. And this is not the purpose of this post. I want to be able to provide you with all the scientific, peer reviewed, top-medical-journal evidence on the ineffectiveness and danger of the current vaccination schedule but unfortunately it is just not that easy. The reasons why are just as complicated. Money is a big one. Big Pharma controls a big proportion of our world but I know that if I talk too much about it I will be written off as a conspiracy theorist. I'm also not a Scientist and so will not attempt to untangle the web of 'evidence' for you. What I am going to do is attempt to write a succinct wrap up of the reasons my family made the choices we did. And to debunk some of the myths that surround vaccination in general.
So here goes:
1) The number one reason I chose not to continue vaccinating my children was that if you follow the vaccine schedule as it stands today your child will receive 42 doses of vaccine in 26 different injections by the time they are 4 years old. And when I asked for the studies that showed this was not harmful THERE WERE NONE. There are plenty of studies out there proving individual vaccines are safe (and some of those studies can be contested - more on that later) but there are NONE that have tested what happens when all of these vaccines are given together. I have researched myself and I have also spoken to the head of the immunological department at the Royal Children's Hospital here in Melbourne. She couldn't help me.
2) There have also been NO longitudinal studies on the safety of vaccinations. NONE. Considering vaccines have been almost mandatory since the 1950's, this doesn't sit well with me. What's more is that each generation are being exposed to more and more vaccines at younger and younger ages. Before I turned 4 I received 15 doses of vaccine in 5 injections as well as 4 does of oral polio vaccine. Total of 19 doses. My mum received 4 doses of vaccine in 2 injections. You get the idea. Source: here and here.
3) The testing of vaccines leave a lot to be desired. I'm not going to go into all the details of how vaccines are tested, it would make you loose your lunch, but I will point out a few key elements that I find interesting. All vaccines are first tested on animals for safety, the whooping cough vaccine is tested on mice. Without going into too much detail (message me if you want the detail), the scientific community has massive misgivings about the efficacy of these tests. Despite this, 60 odd years after the mouse tests were first developed, they are still the benchmark for proving the safety and potency of the whooping cough vaccines.(Corbel, M.J. et al. 2004. "Toxicity and potency evaluation of pertussis vaccines".) I realise that the animal testing is an early stage of the whole process and that human trials are more informative but there are major problems with the human trials as well. Participants in the human trials have to meet a stringent criteria of health. For example - participants in the Hep B human trials were excluded from the trial if any of the following applied (From Hilary Butlers book Just a Little Prick pg 120):
* The mother of the baby involved in the trial is a Hep B carrier, or has AIDS or syphilis. Or have had the Hep B vaccine themselves.
* The mother had been given drugs that suppressed her immune system during the last three months of pregnancy.
* The mother was given blood, blood products, Hep B immune globulin, or antibiotics for infection.
* The mother has diabetes.
* Any problems in labour/birth such as prolonged rupture of membranes, pre-eclampsia, placenta acretia. The list goes on.
The baby would be rejected from the trail if:
* s/he was born before 37 weeks and/or weighs less than 2500g at birth.
* needed resuscitation, received IV antibiotics for suspected infection, or may have any medical condition suspected or otherwise. Again the list goes on (let me know if you want the full details).
So while it may be (and I don't believe it is) considered a 'safe' vaccine, it is only safe in this very small part of the population. The Hep B vaccine was then rolled out world wide to be given to every newborn baby - regardless of medical history. I refused the vaccine for my first born and encountered little resistance, for my second child however, this vaccine was pushed very hard despite the fact that he was in SCN on IV antibiotics and was (in the words of the pead 'very ill'). I myself have been vaccinated for Hep B and his labour and birth were far from normal. None of this was taken into consideration.
Furthermore, the control group in vaccine trials are now given a comparable drug (usually a similar vaccine). Personally I want to know how the vaccine compares to a non-vaxed person. Also, all of these trials have a no public disclosure clause, which means you aren't allowed to see the results yourself. In fact, even the FDA and other governing bodies only get to see what the vaccine manufacturers want them too, ie. a filtered version of the full results (Just a Little Prick pg 119). If the results are so compelling why the secrecy?
Doctors get taught that vaccines are safe and effective and rarely question how these results came about. The vast majority of doctors are not actually experts in this field despite public understanding. I challenge any of you to question your doctor closely on the topic of vaccinations and suggest you prepare to be surprised. I know I have been on every occasion.
4) Propaganda. Both sides of the vaccine debate have been guilty of this one. The government does jump on the propaganda wagon very quickly though and it really does leave a bad taste in my mouth. Take chicken pox for example. Before the vaccine the literature suggested chicken pox was a mild childhood disease that was very common and very rarely caused any significant problems. After the vaccine was developed the information that was included on the pamphlets changed dramatically. These days chicken pox is not simply a normal childhood disease but a potentially lethal monster that has many different (and horrendous) complications. Thank god I (and every single person I know) got through it alive...
We have all seen the posters of beautiful babies with the slogan "Wipe measles out with just one shot"....or should that be two? or three? or lots and lots of shots because the first one wears off pretty quickly...
The fact is that just by looking at the pamphlets in the doctors office you can see how they have been designed specifically to elicit an emotional (fear) response. It is interesting how the look and feel of these brochures change depending on whether a vaccine is available or not.
People always ask me why the government would spend billions of dollars every year on vaccinations if it wasn't worth it. I admit, this was a sticking point for me as well. I have come to the conclusion that propaganda is at play here too. From the vaccine manufacturers. I'll touch lightly on this one because I don't want to be written off as a conspiracy theorist but after reading a few key things, my mind was changed. For example from Hilary Butler's book Just a Little Prick(pg188-189):
It appeared the Smith Kline and French,....[then] decided to progress their cause further and go public and into schools in an advance effort to get a contract to vaccinate 650,000 school-aged children, which would provide a theoretical income of $25 million assuminmg a 100% compliance rate. Fraser MacKenzie said that his company:
"Had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars planning the campaign and educating the public about Hepatitis B."
And this (pg 309) from an interview with a business manager of the vaccine manufacturer:
"We started increasing the awareness of the European Experts of the World Health Organization about Hepatitis B in 1988. From then to 1991, we financed epidemiological studies on the subject to create a scientific consensus about hepatitis being a major public health problem. We were successful because in 1991, WHO published new recommendations about the Hepatitis B vaccination."
What this tells me is that the entire process is flawed. The doctors and the government that are pushing (and funding) vaccinations are not bad people. I do think they truly believe what they are doing is right, it is the Big Pharma that have control here though.
5) I have a lot to say about the side affects of vaccinations. I'm not going to here though because I know there is so much information on either side of the fence. I will say, however, that while I don't believe any one vaccine is responsible for the increase in allergies and autism (up to 1 in 88 children now!!), I do believe that all of these things are caused by the accumulation of toxins in our environment and that actively injecting known toxins could not in any way help the situation. I also believe that each and everyone of us is made up differently and what may not harm one person will cause untold damage in another.
Almost done. The last thing I want to do is bust the myth that the introduction of vaccination has wiped out many diseases. This is accepted as fact by the majority of the population and it is actively promoted as part of the government propaganda.
When you actually look at the historical data on infectious diseases it is quite telling. England began keeping records of the causes of death in 1838 and this raw data has been placed into graphs to get a good visual of what has been happening. Measles and whooping cough were very potent killers, scarlet fever was twice as bad as both of them. In the following graphs you can see how the measles, whooping cough and scarlet fever diseases were dramatically declining before the introduction of the vaccines (and it is worth noting that, although the scarlet fever vaccine was patented in 1928 it was never in widespread use):
The historical data on small pox also holds interesting information. Despite strong vaccination laws in England for over 80 years, small pox continued to be a virulent and unchecked killer.
These graphs clearly indicate that the decline of disease was not due to the introduction of vaccines, whooping cough and measles death rates had fallen by 99% before the vaccines had been developed and scarlet fever had virtually vanished without the use of any vaccine while small pox continued in spite of strict vaccination laws. From here.
What caused the decline of disease can only be guessed at. My money is on better nutrition and hygiene.
I have been talking about this issue and researching this issue for around 5 years now. I have been asked by the RCH in Melbourne to talk to their immunology department about why I choose not to vaccinate. I spoke to the head doctor of that department and even she couldn't give me the answers I needed to change my mind.
Many people I know think that this is a 'no-brainer'. You just don't vaccinate. I'm not there, I struggle with this decision periodically. Each time doubt rears its ugly head, I go back to the drawing board and look into it some more. And each time I have come out of it with the same conclusions - it is just not worth the risk. The only advice I can give you is that you need to be really sure because you can't change your mind once you vaccinate.